Sunday, January 9, 2011

A Whole New Year

I've been trying to write this post for several days but I shouldn't be surprised that we are more than a week into the new year before I'm able to write a new post.

The 2010 Holiday Season was just as busy and wonderful as I had expected. My nephew made his debut on December 28th, 2010 and we were all over-joyed to meet this beautiful little soul. As many can attest, I was nearly breaking down the door to see my sister and her new baby. I understand what a challenge it must have been for her to be more than 250 miles from me when Whit was born.

Life continues to progress although faster than I would like.  The fact that Whit will be 7 months old in just 5 short days took me by complete surprise when I looked at the calender the other day.  I have enjoyed watching him grow into a little person and begin to reveal his unique personality. 

Traditionally, people start a new year with a list, be it short or long, of things they want to change about themselves or their lives.  Being more than content in my current situation, and understanding that more than 70% of 'resolutions' are not actually undertaken, I have decided to start a new tradition for myself.  This year, instead of dwelling on those things that have been unhappy or that I may want to change my goal is to focus instead on all of the wonderful things I have been blessed with. It seems logical to me that this is the way to cultivate happiness in your life.

As I look back on 2010 I am thankful for a loving husband and a caring family. I am thankful for a tremendous church family and a fabulous life group. I am thankful for good friends who always seem to be there. I am thankful for a terrific employer who has been more understanding and flexible that I probably deserve.  I am thankful for my overall good health and that of my family.  I am thankful for the miracle that is the little boy sleeping peacefully on the couch right now.  And most of all I am thankful for another year in which to enjoy all of the blessings in my life. 

Wishing everyone a happy and blessed 2011!

No comments:

Post a Comment