Friday, January 11, 2013

Ask and You Shall Receive

One of the things I love about being Mommy to a 2 year old is that it gets a little easier all the time. 

Mostly, I have been amazed by Whit's propensity for understanding and following directions. For those of you who don't know me as well, I LOVE rules. I will sit for 15 minutes and read how to play a board game before I let anyone pick up the first piece because I want to play it correctly.  My parents didn't have many problems with me growing up because I tended to follow the rules.  (That doesn't mean that I didn't improvise when the rules were not well stated, sorry!)  I'm hoping that this ability and eagerness to follow directions will be helpful in the coming months.  I'm thinking "Can you get Mommy a clean diaper for the Baby?" and "Mommy is going to take a shower, let me know if your sister wakes up."

No, tantrums were not fun.  Luckily, we didn't spend a lot of time on them. 

No, I don't always relish the fact that my 2 year old is opinionated and strong willed (sometimes, I do!)

However, despite Whit wanting to do what he wants to do, as is the nature of the 2 year old, he's getting much better when Mommy and Daddy say "no."

Last night Whit became upset with Kirk and I was slightly amused listening to the conversation that unfolded. 

Kirk: "Why aren't you happy with me?"
Whit: "Because Daddy say 'no'"
Kirk: "Well Whit, sometimes Daddy is going to say 'no.'  Sometimes even when you really want to do something, I will know it's not what is best for you and I will say 'no.'
Whit: "OK"

Later that night when we were getting ready for bed Kirk asked Whit if he would sleep all night in his own bed.  Whit responded "OK Daddy." 

Early this morning I slowly began to wake up.  Typically, this is prompted by either a sixth sense or, now that Baby Girl is getting bigger, a need to visit the restroom.  Today it was surrounded by the vague sense that I was alone... OK, not alone, Kirk was in bed also, but I was in my own bed without a 2 year old draped over top of me.  I was even more shocked when just a few minutes later our alarm went off.  Not only had Whit slept through the night, but I had also.

Don't get me wrong, I have no illusions that my child will ever sleep through the night consistently (the apple doesn't fall far from the tree), but I did approach my day with a slight spring in my step and a bit of smile on my face... and I'm optimistic that perhaps Whit will give us a slight reprieve as his father and I prepare for another few years of consistently sleepless nights.

No comments:

Post a Comment