Saturday, September 4, 2010

I've Got a Feeling...

More than just a part of a Black Eyed Peas song - this has become one of the most frequently used phrases in our household.  It began with the week we were waiting impatiently for Whit's birth. Kirk would say "I've got a feeling....." followed by "It's happening tonight" or "It's never going to happen" depending on his mood.

Fast forward to 3 weeks later (I can barely recall anything that was said or done in the first two weeks) and we began to use it this way: "I've got a feeling...." followed by "Whit's almost asleep" or "He's about to wake up" or "someone is hungry."

Now that we are moving in on the end of Month 3 (wow!) it's a phrase used in almost daily conversation, at least for me.  I say it quite frequently to Whit and sometimes sing it as the song - it never fails to get a smile.

But let's talk about how it's not used.  I think everyone in our family 'has a feeling' evidenced by the way each and every one of them react to Whit's presence.  I know that "I have a feeling..." one that has surprised me.  As a pregnant woman you already love your child, even before birth and you expect to continue to love them once they are born.  What you don't expect is for that feeling of love to grow and change every single day.  To increase in strength and intensity, to develop subtlety and become layered and deep. And this love extends to other people - I have a new love for my parents because I understand finally how they feel about me.  I have a new love for my sister as she goes through this experience herself.  I have a new love for my husband because he gave me Whit, and a new love for my in-laws because they gave me Kirk.

A few photos of us sharing and showing "the feeling."

No comments:

Post a Comment