Thursday, April 24, 2014

Cat got your tongue?

I think I promised this post months ago and I'm finally sitting down to do it.  Why? Well because I've had reason to think more on it recently and I feel it's time to share the knowledge. 

Some people know, some don't and others won't care (you should probably stop reading now if that's the case) that I had several issues feeding Whit when he was first born. Without going into all the details (If you really want to know I will tell you in person) we'll just say that if I wasn't a little stubborn, I would have quite nursing after the first 3 weeks.  And if I wasn't a lot stubborn I would have quite after 7 weeks.  But, you know, I'm about as mule-headed as they come, so I stuck it out. 

When Eilidh was born I imagined a relaxed, peaceful babymoon.  Referring, actually, to the period after she was to be born rather than before.  After we finally, after a day of pure stress, managed to make it home from the hospital (another story I'll tell you, in person, if you really want to know) things were great.  And then by the time she was 2 or 3 weeks old I could tell something was up. Every evening she would scream at me, fight me, and scream some more.  She would act like she was the most unhappy baby in the entire world and there was nothing I could do to make her happy, nothing.  My pediatrician said it would probably pass and not to worry because she was gaining weight well and otherwise seemed happy.  But I knew something was wrong.  I used every resource at my disposal and ended up at an Ear, Nose, & Throat doctor when Eilidh was 7 weeks old suspecting, and getting, a tongue-tie diagnosis.  I've heard some people say that diagnosing tongue tie is just a fad, but you can read more on that here or here.

Eilidh a few hours after her procedure

I was also told that many practitioners deny that tongue tie exists and refuse to treat it.  The ENT I was referred to was chosen specifically because he does treat tongue tie.  And let me tell you, it was the best 30 seconds of crying I've ever exposed Eilidh to.  Because, really, tongue tie can cause all sorts of problems beginning with breastfeeding and continuing on to language and speech problems and difficulty french kissing. Yep, Eilidh shouldn't have a problem kissing now (not that she'll do that before she's at least 28 and married).  So why treat it?  Well, I suppose you don't have to.  I know many people who haven't had theirs treated and are just fine.  It is technically an elective surgery.  But having chosen to treat, I don't know that I could ever choose other wise.  A simple, relatively pain free procedure called a frenotomy made a huge difference for us. Within hours she was nursing better and we never saw a screaming or fighting match again....until her recent desire to not wear a diaper....

Other links
http://www.lalecheleague.org/llleaderweb/lv/lvaprmay02p27.html
http://www.entnet.org/HealthInformation/Ankyloglossia.cfm
http://kellymom.com/health/baby-health/bfhelp-tonguetie/
http://www.pennilessparenting.com/2012/02/tongue-tie-and-lip-tie-snipping-for.html
http://www.drgreene.com/qa-articles/tonguetie-surgery/

No comments:

Post a Comment